We’ve had a chance to check out and use the FoxFury Discover Tasker Helmet Light. There are definitely many options of flashlights for firefighters to choose from. Do you carry one? Do you hang one off your coat or truckbelt? Do you have one on your helmet?
Ryan Pennington made a comment to me a while back, it was: Why do we continue to crawl into and work in dark places when excellent lighting options are available? He has a valid point, right? Below are some pros, cons, and information on the FoxFury light we reviewed.
- Lots of light.
- Two levels of light was ok, but we found that it was best to just put the high beam on most of the time.
- Strap fit on my fire helmet, rope rescue helmet, and USAR helmet.
- Cost may be a deterrent for some
- Weight is 9.4 oz. It was noticeable, but not overly cumbersome.
- The on/off switch took a little practice with a gloved hand to locate and operate.
From the FoxFury Lighting Solutions website:
Light Output – White Light
- High: 120 torch lumens | 4.5 hours
- Low: 54 torch lumens | 11.5 hours
What you will see
- 38° field of vision
- Up to 150 ft (47 m) away and 60 ft (19 m) wide
Fire Helmet Compatability
- Fits 99% of US (American) style fire helmets: utilize internal visors, Bourkes, etc. as eye protection
- Fits some US (American) style fire helmets with an external faceshield
- Fit 99% of hard hats, rescue helmets and other safety helmets
- 3 white LEDs
- Rear safety LED (flashing red) for enhanced visibility
- Replaceable lens
- Tap switch
- 2 intensities (high, low)
- Fire resistant – meets NFPA fire resistant requirements (500°F | 260°C for 30 minutes) when silicone strap is installed. NOT fire resistant if elastic strap installed.
- Waterproof to 10 ft (3 m)
- Impact resistant
Weight (with batteries): 9.4 oz (266 g)
- Uses 4 AA batteries
The light we reviewed is a great option for firefighter personal lighting. It is assumed the other products from FoxFury have similar qualities of powerful lighting, durability, and functionality. Don’t be left in the dark.
Pass it on!